Six Biblical reasons why the Apostle is not for today:
Apostles were the founders of the church (Eph. 2:20)
- Their role was of grounding, support and direction, to provide basis for the new church.
- They were the church founders.
Apostles were eyewitnesses to the resurrection (I Co. 9:1; 15:7,8).
Apostles were chosen personally by Jesus Christ (Mt. 10:1-4, Lk. 6:12-16)
- NOTE: When the pastoral epistles set forth principles for lasting church leadership, they speak of elders and deacons, but they never mention apostles.
Apostles were authenticated by miraculous signs
- Peter healed cripple man. (Acts 3:3-11).
- Peter raised Dorcus from the dead (Acts 9:36-42).
- Paul raised Eutichus from the dead after he had fallen to his death (Acts 20:6-12).
- Paul was bitten by a poisonous snake and felt no harm. (Acts 28:16).
Apostles had absolute authority (Jude 17)
Apostles have an eternal and unique place of honor (Rev. 21:14).
- Names of the twelve are sealed forever in the wall of the new Jerusalem in heaven.